Monday, November 8, 2010

Last Birthday Quilt


Tonight is the unveiling of this year's last birthday quilt. None of the quilt group has seen it, per the rules of the birthday quilt challenge. Last year, each quilter gave Carol 3 fat quarters of thirties fabrics on her birthday for a total of 27 fat quarters. During the year, we were not to talk about the pattern, block or quilting of our birthday quilt until it is revealed on the birthday this year. It is a huge secret--what suspense! For our quilt group, it truly is difficult because we share and discuss the making of all our quilting ideas. So tonight, it's a little sad to celebrate a quilter's birthday and end our first birthday quilt challenge.

Last year, I requested Amish colored fabric, but tone-on-tone, not solid colors. For my birthday quilt, I made "Birthday Baskets", a wall hanging sized quilt, using each of the 27 different fabrics I received. Look closely--you'll notice a slight variation of colors in the baskets. I chose a black background, also an Amish quilt characteristic. The quilting is done with a variegated thread--not easily done on black fabric! One of the rules is that your quilt has to be completed by your birthday (ok, some of us didn't quite get that) but sometimes life gets in the way of quilting. My quilt was only the second to be revealed this year, even though I have a May birthday.

Tonight's meeting is full of excitement and suspense as we look forward to ending our first quilt group challenge. I think it was quite successful and fun. FYI, this year's quilt birthday challenge is to "pay if forward" and donate a quilt of your own to a charity! Also, not only do you bring your quilt on your birthday, but you get to provide the goodie!

1 comment:

  1. I loved the fabrics & the challenge for our quilter's birthdays. It was really fun, but hard not to talk or share this project. I will always treasure the quilt I have completed with my birthday fabrics chosen & given by my quilter friends, it will always remind me of our close friendships.

    ReplyDelete